The Shaw Group
Maureen Reid is the Corporate Secretary with The Shaw Group. As a member of the senior management team, Maureen is responsible for safety oversight, human resources leadership, corporate communications, corporate governance and legal compliance.
Prior to joining The Shaw Group in 2014, Maureen was the President of BoardWorks Consulting Inc., a firm specializing in governance and strategic planning. Maureen has more than twenty-five years of experience working with private, public and non-profit boards and/or senior management teams across a range of sectors that include financial services, energy, agriculture, education, health, Crown corporations, arts and culture, tourism, workers’ compensation and philanthropy. She has worked with the boards of companies, co-operatives, societies and joint ventures.
Maureen is a non-practising member of the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society and is also a member of the Canadian Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD). She received her ICD.D designation as a professional director from the ICD in 2006. Maureen has corporate board experience having served as the Chair of the Board of Directors of Assumption Life, an insurance and financial services company based in New Brunswick and with operations across Canada. She was a director of that company for nine years and was Chair of both the Human Resources and Governance Committees during her tenure.
In addition to serving on the Halifax Partnership Board, Maureen has held board leadership roles in a number of other significant community organizations. Among her many past volunteer leadership experiences, Maureen has served as:
- Chair of the Board of Governors of the Halifax Grammar School
- Director – Succession Planning on the Board of Directors of the Canadian International Women’s Forum Board
- Vice-Chair of the Atlantic Chapter of the Institute of Corporate Directors
- A Director of the Nova Scotia Masterworks Arts Award Foundation
- Chair of a Provincial Heritage Task Force (Voluntary Planning)
- Chair of the IWK Health Centre Board of Directors
- Chair of the IWK Health Centre Foundation Board
- Vice-Chair, Government Affairs with the Halifax Chamber of Commerce
- President of the Canadian Association for the Practical Study of Law in Education (CAPSLE)
- President of the Neptune Theatre Foundation
She is an Honourary Director of the Neptune Theatre Foundation and the IWK Health Centre Foundation.